Assumed Names

Texas Business and Commerce Code Title 5 Chapter 71.051 requires persons conducting business or providing professional services to file an Unincorporated Assumed Name Certificate in the County in which the person(s) will be conducting their business.  Please use the following guidelines when applying for an Assumed Name in Grayson County: 

  • Unincorporated Assumed Names are registered by filing with the County Clerk.
  • If you have partners in an unincorporated business, each person must be present to sign the Assumed Name document at the time of filing.
  • If filing by mail, your application must be notarized.   
  • Assumed Name Certificates are valid for 10 years from date of issue unless an earlier date is specified on certificate. 
  • You may file more than one Assumed Name.
  • Assumed Name Certificates may have more than one registrant. 
  • There is no age requirement for filing an Assumed Name.
  • If one or more partners in the business wishes to withdraw, a withdrawal from an assumed name form is required.  Fees listed below apply.
  • Your Assumed Name must be filed with the County Clerk unless you are required to file with the Secretary of State. For more information on state requirements please visit the Secretary of State’s Name Filing FAQs.
  • You can search here for Assumed Name Certificates (DBA) that are currently on file in Grayson County. 


Filing fee is $12.50 for one applicant and .50 for each additional applicant.

Copies are $1.00 per page and an additional $5.00 for certification if needed.

If you mail your application and pay by check, you must include a legible copy of your valid government issued photo ID with your notarized application.

All checks are to be made payable to: Grayson County Clerk.

For more information or if you have any questions you may contact us at or by calling 903-813-4216.

HOURS OF OPERATION-Real Property Records, 100 W. Houston St., Courthouse, Ground Floor, Sherman, TX, 75090

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.



Assumed Name Certificate

Withdrawal Form

Effective Sept. 1, 2019, a corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company or foreign filing entity shall file the certificate in the office of the Secretary of State and is no longer required to file in the offices of each County Clerk where the business is to be conducted (HB 3609 - 86th Legislation).

Important Note:  Many businesses are required to obtain a sales and tax permit to sell their product. To find out if this requirement applies to your business, please call the State Comptroller at 1-800-252-5555.