Home | Contact Us | Sitemap | Translate
Section 71.003 or the Texas Family Code states Family violence means:
(1) an act by a member of a family or household against another member of the family or household that is intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault or that is a threat that reasonably places that member in fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, but does not include defensive measures to protect oneself;
(2) abuse, by a member of a family or household toward a child of the family or household; or
(3) dating violence, as that term is defined by Section 71.0021.
Dating violence means an act, other than a defensive measure to protect oneself, by an actor that:
(1) is committed against a victim:
(A) with whom the actor has or has had a dating relationship or
(B) because of the victim’s marriage to or dating relationship with an individual with whom the actor is or has been in a dating relationship or marriage; and
(C) is intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault or that is a threat that reasonably places the victim in fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault.
(2) For purposes of this title “dating relationship” means a relationship between individuals who have or have had a continuing relationship of a romantic or intimate nature, The existence of such a relationship shall be determined based on consideration of :
(A) the length of the relationship;
(B) the nature of the relationship; and
(C) the frequency and type of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship.
(3) A casual acquaintanceship or ordinary fraternization in a business or social context does not constitute a “dating relationship” under Section (b).
“Household” means a unit composed of persons living together in the same dwelling, without regard to whether they are related to each other, including persons who previously lived together.
Grayson County, Texas
100 W. Houston
Sherman, Texas 75090
Copyright © - 2022 Grayson County, Texas