Marker [115]
Captain LeTellier's School
(723 S. Travis St., Sherman)


This school for boys, founded in 1871, was officially known as the Sherman Private School, but informally as "the Cap'n's." It was established and run by former Confederate Army Captain John H. LeTellier (1842-1913) who was born and educated (at Bethany College) in Virginia. Pupils who attended his school, housed in a large frame building, were mainly boys, but a few younger girls were admitted. Tuition in 1871 was $3 a month. The roll contained the names of many future leading citizens of this area and scholastic standards were high. The Captain demanded constant drill in English, spelling, and math, stressing oral arithmetic. For each subject completed, a certificate was given. The Captain, an energetic man who was respected by his boys, joined them in sports at recess, told them stories of his war experiences, sang and played the guitar. Occasionally he held dances upstairs for which "Old Jim" the handyman played the fiddle. Each fall the fathers of the students furnished wagons and all the children rode to the Choctaw bottoms for their annual pecan hunt. Upon LeTellier's death the school closed. He and his family are buried in West Hill Cemetery.