Old Sherman Opera House
(300 N. Travis St., Sherman)
|Formerly a 3-story Victorian structure with twin cupolas, built by Capt. L. F. Ely, who made the bricks in his city
Lavish interior had carpeted aisles, damask curtains and red plush seats. Benches in the economy section were called the "buzzard roost." From its completion (1881) until closing (1918), it helped make Sherman a cultural center. First show was operetta "the Mikado." Also given here were Shakespearean plays, musical reviews, temperance lectures and trained animal acts.
Remodeled (1961) for commercial use. Original bricks remain.