Marker [099]
First United Methodist Church
(Corner of Elm and Mulberry, Sherman)


First congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South in Sherman. Established in 1859 with the Rev. J. M. Binkley, pastor, the church was born of the labors of circuit riders who braved this frontier area even before the county was organized. The first members worshipped under a brush arbor located on what is now the Sherman public square.

The first permanent building, a frame structure, was erected in 1860. Located in the 300 block of South Travis Street; this building burned in 1895. For years the congregation worshipped in the city opera house while a brick sanctuary was being erected on the original site. This structure was occupied in 1889 and used until 1910, when a new larger domed edifice, located at North Travis and Mulberry Streets was occupied. For 44 years "Travis Street Methodist Church" served as a focal point of Methodist activity in Sherman and North Texas.

To meet the needs of a growing congregation, the present structure was erected in 1955 (Mulberry and Elm Streets) on property once belonging to Kidd-Key College, a Methodist school. The church was named "First Methodist Church." With denominational union in 1968, it became "First United Methodist Church."