Marker [084]
Friendship Cemetery
(7/8 mi. N. of Highway 56 W, Sherman)


Opened in 1830s with burials of local "Yankee Town" settlers. Closed in 1859 by a private owner. Reopened by Madison Walsh and Nolan Stewart, 1861. Enlarged and improved 1892,when adjacent Methodist Church was built. The cemetery had been used in three eras: Republic of Texas, the Confederacy, and the Union.