Marker [082]
First Site Of City Of Sherman
(1/2 mi. n. of n. end of SH 289)


This marker has been temporarily removed and stored to facilitate Highway 289 construction

When Grayson County was created on March 17, 1846, by the first legislature of the State of Texas, the Act named the county seat in honor of Sidney Sherman (1805-73), a heroic leader at the Battle of San Jacinto and in the affairs of the Republic of Texas. Commissioners to select possible courthouse sites 3 miles from the center of the county were Micajah Davis, George C. Dugan, Richard McIntire, James Shannon, and James G. Thompson. This site on the old Cherokee Trail and the road to the important river crossing at Preston Bend won approval of the voters. Townsite lots were auctioned late in the year 1846. Chief Justice James G. Thompson supervised building of courthouse under a contract awarded in Jan. 1847 to M. L. Webster. Completion of the structure called for special celebration in a Fourth of July picnic with barbecue, a barrel of whiskey, music and dancing. Water and wood for public use were scarce at this site, called "a bald prairie." State Representative James B. Shannon (one of the original county seat commissioners) secured new legislation; he and Samuel Blagg, his business partner, on Nov. 23,1848, deeded from their holdings to the county commissioners an 80 acre Sherman townsite 5 miles to the east.