Marker [067]
Clifton House Hotel/Star House
(229 W. Gandy, Denison)


The Clifton House Hotel opened on September 5, 1873, within one year of the founding of Denison as a railroad town. First operated by R. S. Brooks, the structure changed ownership several times until Samuel Star bought it in 1884. The property reverted to a rooming house after Star's widow sold it in 1903. Of high Victorian Italianate style, the house features a cruciform plan, with iron cresting on the roof, and window lintels with semi-circular motifs.