Marker [056-1]
Site Of Saint Francis Xavier Academy
(314 Rusk Avenue, Denison)


Founded in 1876 by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur, Belgium, in association with St. Patrick's Catholic Church, St. Francis Xavier Academy was the first of six Texas schools organized by the Sisters. After purchasing a house, Sisters Augustine, Adelphine, Anne, and Benedictine opened their doors to 46 day students and 8 boarders, all girls, from Texas and the Indian territory for the study of the arts, sciences, and classics. A 1901 Gothic brick edifice became the main structure of St. Francis Xavier. The academy consolidated with the St. Patrick's school and became coeducational in 1924. St. Francis Xavier closed in 1968, and the academy buildings were razed in 1971.