Bethel Baptist Church
(S.H. 160, 4 mi. South of Whitewright)
|This congregation grew from an early prayer group, established in the Bethel Community in1875 A small group
met in the schoolhouse, which also served as a community center, for weekly prayer and Bible study On April 16,
1884, nine men and women met to organize the Bethel Baptist Church. These charter members were Mr. and
Mrs. J. P. Autrey, Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Blantun, Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Holland, Mr. and Mrs. E. F. Jones, and Mrs.
Sarah Miller. The Rev. Bob Thomas served as first pastor The small congregation grew rapidly and soon had
more than 150members.|
In 1897, this property was deeded to Bethel Baptist Church by Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Autrey. In the same year, during the pastorate of J. M. Harder, a one-room sanctuary was constructed. A1918 storm damaged the building, but it was repaired and the congregation continued to worship there until another was constructed in 1937.
Throughout its history, Bethel Baptist Church has served as a focal point for the small community. The congregation continues to maintain the ideas and traditions of its pioneer founders.