Merchants And Planters National Bank
(200 N. Travis St., Sherman)
|One of the oldest banks in North Texas. Replaced Sherman's "pecan tree bank;" for 22 years traders hung
saddlebags filled with gold on the tree's branches. Bank was founded in 1872 with $150,000 capital when the city
was 26 years old.|
Promoted growth of Sherman and was hub of North Texas Area and Indian Territory, serving ranchers, farmers, traders. Became national bank 1884. First president was C. C. Binkley; first directors: J. P. Dumas, Silas Hare, Sr., J. M. Lindsay, J. H. Salter, G. Van Winkle, C. A. Andrews.