Marker [098-1]
Sherman Little Theater
(500 North Elm Street, Sherman)

BACK


     IN THE EARLY 1920s, AS THE LITTLE THEATER MOVEMENT WAS DEVELOPING IN TEXAS, A GROUP OF SHERMAN CITIZENS FORMED A COMMUNITY THEATER TO PRESENT DRAMATIC PRODUCTIONS TO LOCAL AUDIENCES.  IN DECEMBER 1925, SHERMAN JOINED THE GROWING RANKS OF TEXAS CITIES WITH A LITTLE THEATER GROUP.  ARCHITECT ROLLIN M. ROLFE, WHO SERVED AS FIRST PRESIDENT, AUSTIN COLLEGE PROFESSOR FRANCIS EMERSON AND BUSINESSMAN JAMES FANT WERE INSTRUMENTAL IN GUIDING THE ORGANIZATION TO ITS EARLY GROWTH AND SUCCESS. 

     THE SHERMAN LITTLE THEATERíS FIRST PRODUCTION OLD MAN MINICK, DEBUTED IN EARLY 1926 WITH A CAST CF LOCAL CITIZENS.  THE SAME YEAR, THE GROUP WON FIRST PLACE IN TEXASí FIRST LITTLE THEATER COMPETITION IN DALLAS WITH THE PLAY MOONTIDE.  

     PRODUCING SEVERAL PLAYS EACH YEAR, OTHER THAN DURING WORLD WAR 11, AND ENJOYI NG BROAD COMMUNITY SUPPORT, THE THEATER GROUP INCORPORATED IN 1950 AS THE SHERMAN COMMUNITY PLAYERS.  TO PROVIDE THE PLAYERS WITH A PERMANENT REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE FACILITY, THE FINLEY PLAYHOUSE (LATER THE FINLEY CULTURAL CENTER) WAS BUILT AT THIS SITE IN 1954. BY 2000 THE FINLEY COMPLEX INCLUDED THE HONEY McGEE PLAYHOUSE. 

     WITH A PERMANENT VENUE FOR ITS PRESENTATION AND FACILITIES FOR A CHILDREN S PROGRAM, TOGETHER WITH AN EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL STAFF, THE SHERMAN COMMUNITY PLAYERS HAVE CONTINUED TO SERVE AS AN INTEGRAL PART OF SHERMAN S CULTURAL LIFE AND HISTORY.