Jabez And Harriet Haning
(Hall Cemetery, 2 mi SW Howe)
|Jabez Haning (1827-1883) came to Grayson County with his family in 1846. In the 1850s Jabez Haning obtained a
grant of 320 acres of land from the Peters Colony. His land was located about nine miles south of the town of
Sherman. Harriet Campbell (1834-1880) and Jabez Haning were married in 1854 and established a farm. |
In 1873 the Houston & Texas Central Railway established a line south of Sherman. The route went through the Haning property, and they donated land for a town site in 1876. The town was named Howie, probably in honor of a railroad official.